Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day with the 'Rents.

Yesterday ended up being a spontaneously great day with my parents.  We didn't set out to spend the bulk of the day together, but that is what happened.  Quality time with Mom and Dad is at a premium since I will be moving back to NYC in two weeks.  I guess I should write a post on that life-changing decision....

Anyway, I had the presence of mind to take a few pictures.

My mom and I went to our stake clothing swap in the morning, then to the Mapleton Farmers' Market.  I love farmers' markets.  I don't go very often, but every time I do, I am enamored with the concept of grassroots, and good, home grown food and goods.  Ours is not very big, but we got some really nice produce.  Super yummy.  I will have to find a market somewhere in New York.  There has to be one somewhere.  Right?


 So, there is an old fashioned soda fountain at a mom and pop pharmacy in Springville, called S.O.S. Drugs.  Dad keeps talking about it, and I have never been.  So yesterday, on a whim, the three of us went "into town" and had some ice cream and sodas.  Mom and Dad got some kind that they would get as kids that tastes kind of like Dr. Pepper.  I don't remember what it is called.  I keep wanting to say Rum and Coke, but somehow, I don't think that is right...


I love Springville, and how it still has such a charming Main Street, with old stores like this one.  I will miss this place. 

Last night I called in my perks from doing shows at Hale Center Theater in Orem, and took my parents to see Arsenic and Old Lace.  They both love that play, and my dad has really fond memories from being in it many years ago.  (Many...)  It was great; we all enjoyed it.  At some point during the afternoon, I had conveniently told my mom about the really great peanut butter sauce at Menchies, a frozen yogurt shop by the theater, and that all the programs have coupons inside.   You can always perk my mom's interest with coupons.  So we went to Menchies after the show.  The sauce delivered, as usual. 

It was a really nice day.  I was so glad I was home.  I am trying to be around when my parents are home a little more these last couple of weeks.  I have to say, it will be really hard to leave.  My parents have been an incredibly important aspect of my life these last few years.  We have kind of gotten used to having each other around, and it will be sad to end this chapter of my life, in large part because of them.  I like them a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. There is a fantastic farmer's market in Union Square in Manhattan. Don't know what neighborhood (or borough) you'll be living in but Union Square is pretty universally easy to get to (and there's a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods there, too, to satisfy all your West Coast shopping desires).

    Big hugs and best wishes from the California chapter of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this snapshot of a day in the life of the three Mapletopians before there were only two once again. I also know that this kind of a day was a rarity with the crazy schedules all three of you have, but that's what made it so special. Thanks for sharing it. And, seriously, after reading a bunch of your posts...how in the world do you stay so skinny???????

    ReplyDelete