Sunday, August 26, 2012

New Chapter.

I have now lived in Utah for almost two and a half years.  I really didn't think I would be here this long, unless I had already decided to put down some roots.  But the timing has worked out as it should, and it is finally time to move on and start a new chapter.

I have spent months trying to figure out what that new chapter would look like.  I won't bore you with all the details of it; it is a really long story.  But basically, as soon as I came back to Utah, I knew the New York question would eventually have to be answered.  The fact is, when I got married I pretty much left the acting industry.  I dabbled a little bit, did a few auditions here and there, but I really put my career to the side for the sake of my marriage.  That was absolutely my choice.  I want to make that clear, lest anyone assume that Cristian was not a supportive theater husband.  But I was more concerned with getting him through school so that he could support our family; you know, the bigger picture and all that.  I also was not interested in a long distance marriage.  Even now, I still feel like I made the right choice to give my marriage priority over my career.

However, I never felt resolved or "done."  I still missed the business, and kind of lived vicariously at times through some of my friends who were still knee-deep in it.  So, when my marriage ended, I knew I would have to make the decision about whether to go back.  Some may say that should have been a no-brainer.  But it wasn't for me.  I really wanted to know where I needed to be, and what I needed to be doing, according to God's will.  I sincerely wondered if the theater industry was the right place for me at this point in my life.

The first year I was home I really didn't think about it much.  I was too busy grieving and just....being.  Surviving.  Just as it needed to be.  But a few months after my divorce, I started to give the question more thought.  I went back and forth constantly.  Again, long story short, a year later I finally got enough faith to just make a decision and stop waiting for God to tell me what to do.  Only after I started to really move forward did the peace of assurance come.  I realized that I needed to move on the best way I knew how, and let God take care of everything else.  I needed to trust myself that I would know if my direction was wrong according to His plan for me.

So, I am moving back to New York City to jump into the acting industry full time again.  I am not embarrassed to say I am still holding on to a dream to be on Broadway.  I feel like I can get there.
And honestly, why not go?  I have a unique opportunity to go back to some of my original plans before I got married.  Not a do-over, but just...another chance to live my dream.  So, why the heck not?  I don't want to spend the rest of my life wondering "what if..." and having those regrets.  I also don't want to stay in Utah out of fear of getting out of my comfort zone.  I want to risk; I want to take my life by the horns and really live it.  I feel like staying in Utah and just "playing it safe" would be too complacent, too comfortable.

There is NOTHING wrong with Utah.  I love Utah.  I could create a great life for myself here.  While living here, I have had so many awesome opportunities to perform, teach, and work.  I have amazing friends and a lot of family here.  It is my home base.  There would have been nothing wrong with staying here, if that had been the right choice for me.  But it wasn't, and I felt that if I didn't go, that I would stop progressing, for me. 

So I am excited.  I finally have a direction, a goal, and I am moving forward.  After a couple of years of limbo that feel so good.  I am also ready for some adventure.  I have no idea what will happen, and I am totally alright with that.  I know I will get there and be reacquainted with how competitive, uncertain, and difficult it is.  I will have to work harder than I ever have in my life.   But that is fine. 

It is very bittersweet to leave behind my life here.  But I feel powerful.  The metamorphosis I have gone through here in Utah in the last two and a half years is nothing short of miraculous.  I am looking forward to entering a new phase with this new person I call me.  I am the me I have always been, but different at the same time.  I hope that makes me different in my craft too.  I am going with anticipation, nervousness, and hopefully a whole lot of faith.  I will need it.

I leave you with a song that I love.  It doesn't convey my excitement, per se, but the lyrics have meant a lot to me at different points in my life.  I think they may be the most applicable now.  Good stuff.

http://youtu.be/fz1N8W8phec

This could be a real party...it will be something, that's for sure.

14 comments:

  1. I have a saying that God can only really guide us when we are moving our feet.

    I'm sad I didn't get to see you perform before you left, but hope you have a marvelous time in this new chapter of your life. My East coast experience was something I called my Excellent Adventure (and I don't even like Bill and Ted). But wow, I came to know how involved God was, even when I wasn't sure what He wanted me to be doing. He's there, just as you trust He is, and I can't wait to see what He has in store for your life.

    You go girl!

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I love how you said this. Love that you can look back and forward at your life with no regret because you did what was most important and the right things at the right time for you. You are amazing. Wish I wasn't living in three different states this last year so we could have actually hung out. I'll be electronically stalking you. Go get em

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you, lady. Can't wait to hear about all your adventures and live vicariously through YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing..... Can't wait to see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, nicole, I can't wait to hear about your adventures. There's no doubt you will realize that dream!! I just read this whole blog and send out heartfelt love, support and congrats on this new and exciting chapter. I love you. Go kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Nicole! So proud of you for taking the time to find out that this is the right thing! Now you can move forward with so much confidence! We wish you all the very best. Lots of love from me & Dallyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally get it. totally get you. go out there and GO FOR IT. The Sheps love you and can't wait to see you in your Bdway debut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you keep up the blog every now and then so we can know how the adventure unfolds. Break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! You're going to be fabulous. Let us know when you book your first Broadway Show and we'll come see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was actually Max's mom, Katie Higbee =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I needed to read this today. I am so proud of you, and so grateful to call you my friend..and I know you're going to shine in New York. That song means a lot to me too- funny how this life goes, isn't it? But new beginnings all-around. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for you Nicole! You are an inspiration to all of us. I am excited to see the wonderful adventure and blessings the Lord has awaiting you in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! I have spent a long time wondering what if...and not that I regret anything, I just wonder if I could have had any success as a performer if I had tried at all before I settled down and got pregnant at the ripe old age of 20. 13 years and 4 kids later I'm trying to create my own alternatives, but there's always that lingering what if. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and the opportunities we have now! I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How terrific to feel so completely comfortable in your own skin, and so at peace. It is inspiring for the rest of us!!! Love you! C.

    ReplyDelete