Sunday, September 30, 2012

AAHH....NEW YORK CITY!!

Oh my gosh, I love it here.  So much.  I am consumed with the sights, sounds, smells (some not so good), people, charm, history, eccentricities, craziness, and all that is New York.  I am so happy to be back.  I arrived on Monday the 10th, exhausted.  But instead of settling in to my temporary sublet in Jersey City, I changed my clothes and headed right back into Manhattan.  It felt so good.  I just kept staring at everything around me.  I still do that, while trying really hard to NOT look like a crazy tourist.  But I can't help it.  I am enamored with this place, even more than I remembered, and I haven't gotten over the grandeur yet that is New York.

I have definitely already had adventures on the subway trying to find things and ending up being really inefficient about it (you know how I abhor being inefficient), but I am just chalking all of that up to figuring this city out all over again.

Last week I was walking up 7th Ave and heard a girl playing "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele on her saxaphone.  Some other girl just walked up to her and starting singing, and they started this call and respond version of the song.  Totally impromptu.  And they were both GOOD.  Only in New York.

Right now while the weather is still so nice, I love to just walk everywhere I can.  So the other day I ended up in Greenwich Village.  I fell in love immediately.  I wish I could afford to live there.  Anyway, I happened upon this really cool little bookstore that immediately made me regret the purchase I had just barely made at Barnes and Noble.  Being in Greenwich Village made me never want to shop at a chain store again.

One of my goals in coming back here is that I really want to explore this city, and get to know New York like I didn't before.  I want to really know my way around all the different areas, and go to the museums, historic places, cathedrals, and do the things that will help me really know this place.  I want to be familiar with SoHo, Greenwich, Chelsea, the financial district, Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, Midtown (I kinda know Midtown pretty well already), anything on the East Side...and the list goes on.

Downside: Man, this place is expensive!  I knew it was, but it is still a shock to my system.  Dang.

Favorite new place I have been so far: The New York Public Library.  It is so old, beautiful, and stately, and BIG.  I could disappear in there for days.  I will be going back, any time I have some time to kill between appointments, auditions, etc.  Which certainly happens.



Check out this reading room.  I mean, REALLY.  I sat in there, and it was everything I could have imagined it to be.  Apparently, the NYPL has a copy of the Gutenburg Bible, so I went and saw it the other day.  It was really cool.

 This post has the potential to be really long, so I will stop here for now.  But don't be surprised if I make a few more posts today...just trying to catch up.  Then, if I am really good, I can post more often with shorter entries.  We can only hope....




1 comment:

  1. So, so cool. Carpe Diem! I don't think I could drag myself out of that reading room, though, to explore the rest of the City! xo C.

    ReplyDelete