Monday, October 7, 2013

End of Summer Shenanigans

Before I start to fully embrace and celebrate the beginning of my favorite season, and embrace the time of year when I don't need air conditioning or heat in my apartment, I have to wrap up my summer.  This has been a great summer; I took classes to improve on my craft, I saw family, and played with my friends.


In mid August, Rance, Melanie, Kristin and I went out to Governor's Island to a 1920's jazz festival.  You had to pay to get in, but we just sat outside and ate our lunch on a blanket and listened, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves while we chatted and people-watched.  A lot of people got really decked out, and the music was so great!  It just made me fall in love with the summer in NYC all over again, and of course it was great company. 

Labor Day I played softball and stuffed myself with pizza from Koronets before heading off to the opera, where that drama happened that I already told you about.  You know, old ladies in New York.  Living.

On September 10th I reached my 1 year Anniversary of moving to the City!  Yay me!  My roommate Karen also had her anniversary at the same time, but she has been here for 8 years.  I have some serious catching up to do.  So we celebrated by my introducing her to one of my favorite cookie places that she has not tried yet, Schmackery.  I know I have talked about it here already, because I have been just a few times.  Happy Anniversary to us!  Karen is now on a three month consultancy in Qatar.  You know, because she does that. 




So, I have this friend.  His name is Ryan.  He's hysterical and a little bit crazy.  He and his amazing wife Kimberly coordinate their outfits every Sunday.  And it totally works for them.  They are a thowback to the 1950's in the best way imaginable. 

Ryan decided to go to Amateur Night at the Apollo, which is a talent competition at the historic Apollo Theater in the heart of Harlem, and rap.  RAP.  You have to know him.  We all thought it would be an event, to say the least, just knowing Ryan, so we went to support.  And of course, in keeping with Amateur Night tradition, he was booed heartily.  But the show was still really fun and we had a great time.  Even if Ryan offended the majority of the audience.  He pretty much knew he would, and that is just how he rolls.  Just call it a social experiment?



1 comment:

  1. I love that you've been having all these adventures while I've been packing, cleaning, moving, unpacking, more cleaning, etc. my house!!! Just a little bit jealous. Especially of the cookie. But I have to say that my new neighbors brought some cookies over yesterday, appropriately titled "Texas Cow Chips." The one Caden took in his lunch rivaled the size of his sandwich, and oh, my. We do have some fabulous things going on here in Texas too, I must say. xo!!!

    ReplyDelete