Monday, April 7, 2014

Living In A Destination City Is Fun.




First night in town Schmackery run?  Check.


Because sometimes people come visit, like MY BROTHER!  Yes, Gary, Melissa, and entourage came to spend their spring break in the big city.  I mean, who wouldn't want to come to NYC when it is still freezing outside, with no sign of spring in sight?  But, come they did, and though I didn't get to spend the whole time with them, I saw them a ton and loved every minute.  I got to tag along on a lot of their adventures, playing a tourist for things I wouldn't necessarily do myself, like the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building.
These crazies...
And these...


Favorite quote from Chris: "Is that the Olympic Torch?"
It may not be the mountains, but seriously...
Gary having an experience at Levain
I also introduced them or steered them to some of my favorites food places, like Shake Shack, Schmackery, Levain Bakery, and Cosi.  After Gary's first Levain cookie back in October, he was determined to make it back, and I fully supported that notion.   Gary took us to an authentic Korean restaurant in the Korean district, called K Town.  He spoke legit Korean; it was amazing.  And Chris further solidified his place as the family clean up guy.  We took a walk through Central Park and down Fifth Avenue, including a stop at FAO Schwartz.  They got to come to church with me, where they charmed my ward thoroughly.  We then went to hear Vespers and an organ recital at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church and reconvened at my place for Sunday dinner.
Don't be jealous of my fancy apartment.
I like this girl.  A little bit.

A little bit of rainy day reading at Barnes and Noble
This cute picture...
Is actually this. Sorry Gary...

And this is just the things we did together!  They did all kind of stuff other than that, like going to see some of Gary's old areas from his mission.  I think they were pretty tired and happy by the end of the week.  It was so great to have them here; it made me so happy.  It meant a lot to me to have family come, and to be able to show them my city.  And they even got to see NYC gems like this.  If you come to visit me, maybe you too can see a backpack in the form or a stuffed tiger in Korea Town.  If you're lucky.  But I will definitely buy you a cookie.



2 comments:

  1. So fun! And so jealous. Let's remember I was scheduled to visit you…hmm…16 months ago. Drat that sick child. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to review our fabulous trip! It was so great to see you and we love your city! It was a perfect trip, truly. Xo

    ReplyDelete