Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Day of the Valentines


I haven't had someone on Valentine's Day for a very long time.  And that's ok; I am not one to feel sorry for myself, or even lonely on that day for Lovers.  I would always make something fun out of it.  Let's be honest.  It's an excuse to have a party with your friends, or go out to dinner and/or eat treats, right?  So I felt pretty good about it, whether I had a Valentine or not.  Well, this year, I had one.  And he knows me well.  Lilies, a candle, and Reese's Peanut Butter cups in the shape of a heart (they are always better around the holidays.  Bigger. ;-))  

 

I was thrilled and touched by his card telling me I was his "best decision."  We went into DC to the National Portrait Gallery that afternoon, and to dinner afterward.  There were all kinds of fascinating portraits of famous people there, including Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, but somehow, the only portrait I actually documented was this guy.  

 

I don't even remember who he is, but he reminded me of a dwarf from the Lord of the Rings movies.  

I have no answers for you, except this is why we are together.

The next day was Sunday, and the actual date of February 14th, and it was my turn.  I made Danny dinner and gave him a framed picture of the two of us. 

 

 I also sent him this song from a new musical, called Waitress.  I think of him every time I hear it. It's called "You Matter to Me."  Back in February, I was in a place where I knew I loved him, but was still very scared of the commitment that could mean.  So on days when I was feeling a little scared and confused, I could go back to the fundamental, simple truth that I loved him; he mattered to me.  And I to him.  And that was all I needed to know at that moment.  Sometimes that was all I could handle.  Also, Danny has always been very good about trying to understand my past and meet me where I am emotionally.  So this song, to me, encapsulated all of that.


Happy Valentine's Day, my Favorite.  The first of many.  

2 comments: