Friday, May 24, 2013

Mom...my mom. I love her.

She says I make fun of her on this blog.  That is not true.  I rejoice in her personality, and I just want to share the wonders of Naomi.  Besides, she knows full well I am doing this post.  So here goes.  With her permission.

I like to call Mom a child of the Depression.  She was born in the latter years of it (sorry I just outed you Mom), and was raised as the youngest member of a Depression era family.  So, she is a child of the Depression.  Grandma Lucille's favorite expression?  I don't actually know, but one was, "waste not, want not."

So Mom has always been very frugal and anti-waste, for the sake of money and the environment.  Always one to take advantage of a sale; but she can also resurrect nasty fruit in the fridge to make the best fruit salad you have ever seen.  She has a true talent for making the most of her resources.  I still remember the day when I was a small bairn, and my dad finally told her that he made enough money; it was time to stop using powdered milk.  Yes, that was in my lifetime.

As I have gotten older, I have been thoroughly entertained when she shows her true colors.  On my last trip home, I was not disappointed.  During Sunday dinner, my dad and I were sitting at the table when Mom brought napkins.  She then proceeded to tear one in half, and place one half at my plate, and one half at Dad's, with the air of, "here you are.  A napkin.  Enjoy." 

Apparently, she didn't think the environment needed so many napkins.  Bless her beautiful hide. 

PS- Mom's influence has not passed me by.  As much as I tease her about washing out Ziploc bags to re-use, I have had a few moments in the last few years where I have done the same.  Yikers. 


1 comment:

  1. I am laughing my head off right now! I especially love the photo. And I SO remember that moment when Dad said we no longer needed to mix the milk (FYI--I was older, so I know that we mixed half whole milk with half powdered.) Dad said it with some vehemence, which is entirely out of character for him, but shows the passion he felt about the issue. Perhaps this milk concoction is one of the reasons I now shun dairy as an entire food group for the most part--and most especially milk! I love love love this post, but not as much as I love you and Mom. xo

    PS When I am being especially frugal, Tim says, "I can tell you are Naomi's daughter!" So mom's influence has not passed me by either and I'm kind of loud and proud about it.

    ReplyDelete