Sunday, July 7, 2013

'Murica!

So, I know I am behind on my posts.  I haven't really talked about June at all.  Partly because there hasn't been a lot going on, partly out of a lack of motivation.  But I will.  First I have to talk about my White Trash Fourth.

Some friends and I went to Coney Island to enjoy the over crowded, semi-nasty beach, and to watch the train wreck that is referred to as Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest.  It has been happening for 97 years, and it is a THING.  I had no idea until the day before!  So we went, and it was worth every lacking inch of personal space to be there amidst the excitement and anticipation of seeing grown men (we missed the women) stuff way more hot dogs in their bodies than you would think humanly possible.  When I say train wreck, I mean it.  It was awesome!  And appalling. 



















They had bands and trampoline artists as opening acts, and a hard core announcer sounding like he should be in a boxing ring, and champions the likes of Joey Chestnut, who won his 7th straight title with 69 hot dogs in 10 minutes, his personal best, and I must say, a world record.  We witnessed history, we did.  ???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best part is, we were freaking out so much because it was so funny, that somehow I ended up on the news.  Did I ham it up because I thought the whole thing was such a joke?  Yes.  Yes I did. 

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=9161675&pid=9161466

That night we had a lovely picnic in Central Park with some other friends. 
I am so happy my friend Jeff is in town!  He really is one of my faves.  And somehow we keep matching our outfits.  I really don't always dress like a boy.  Only sometimes.

Then, since we were all really done with crowds, instead of braving them to watch fireworks over the Hudson River, we went to Deb's house, and watched them on TV.  And ate ice cream.  A perfect day.


'Murica!

1 comment:

  1. OK, this makes me laugh out loud. Did you post the pic of you and Jeff on Facebook? Because Tristan asked if you had a boyfriend! ;-)

    And trust me, I'm waaaaay more behind on my blogging than you are. Whenever I think I should maybe post something, I get distracted by reading about your fascinating adventures instead. Love you! xo C.

    ReplyDelete