Tuesday, October 27, 2015

#momtakesmanhattan

When I moved to New York City, my parents and I parted with the understanding that they would come visit me as soon as I was in a show.  Optimistically, I flew off to the NYC and started my torrid, beautiful #nycloveaffair, but never was in a show for them to come see.  So they never came and saw.  And we really didn't talk about it again. 
 
Probably for the last two years, I have been thinking, "I really just want my mom and dad to come visit." And I would do things that I would think, "When Mom and Dad come, I want to take them here."  But I never said anything about it, strangely.
 
Then, two weeks before I moved, my mom called me on a Friday and said, "I can't believe we let three years go by without coming to see you in New York.  I'll never forgive myself if I don't try.  Can I come visit next week?" 
 
YES!  YES, YOU CAN!
 
So three days later, Naomi arrived.  Shout out to my awesome boss, Edward Kang, for letting me off for the afternoon to go get a 77 year old woman who would otherwise be hanging out by herself at La Guardia airport, waiting for me.  When asked how she wanted to get to my apartment, she, of course, chose the bus.  For the experience of it all.  She crazy. But ride the bus we did!
 
 
That night we just took a little walk in Central Park, and then hung out at home.  But the next day was a full one!  9/11 Memorial, lunch at Nanoosh, a session at the temple, ice cream at Ample Hills Creamery, and Wicked.  Mom has never seen Wicked, claiming she wanted to wait until I was in the show to see it for the first time.  (Sorry, Mom!)  Anyway, it was so fun because she LOVED it.  And I loved watching her love it! Admittedly, although I thoroughly enjoyed myself as well, seeing it for the third time, it was a little bittersweet.  I don't know what the future holds, at all.  But the fact that I knew I was moving made me wonder if I was also moving away from certain goals I have always had.  I don't know the answer to that yet.  And that's OK.  But I had a moment or two during the show that were a little rough for me.  But I'm so glad we went!
 
 
 
After the show Mom wanted to walk through Times Square.  At 10pm.  Again, she crazy.  But we did it.  And all the crazies were out, like I knew they would be.  I felt very protective of my mother in those moments, wanting to shield her from some of the worst parts of humanity, in my opinion.  At least those parts that inhabit Times Square.  But she wanted to see Times Square...
 
Wednesday was more low-key as I had to work in the morning.  But in the afternoon, Mom came with me to my friend's place for a practice session.  Steve plays the piano, I sing, it works.  And Mom was in heaven listening to her baby girl.  (That's me).  I'm lucky I have a mom who actually wants to hear me sing enough that something like that would be appealing for her, because I sure needed to make it happen before I left.
 
 
That night we picked up a quick dinner at Cosi, one of my favorite places, and headed off on a city lights sunset cruise.  It was stunning!  We started on the Hudson around 45th street, then went down around the tip of Manhattan, under all the bridges, and up the East River to about midtown on the east side.  Then took a little detour to sail around the Statue of Liberty after the sun went down.  And of course my phone died, so I don't have the best pictures.  But we loved every minute!
 
 
 
 
 
The night ended with Schmackery.  Naturally. 
 
 
Thursday was another whirlwind as Mom was flying out that afternoon.  But we hit the important things: the Highline (definitely one of the places I have been wanting to take her, and it was SO worth it.  She loved it!  Score!), St. Patrick's Cathedral, and Levain Bakery, OF COURSE.
 
 
Then I sent her off in a taxi to the airport, because there was no way I was letting her loose on the bus system by herself. 
 
Aaaannnnddd a few hours later, she was back at my place, after a cancelled flight.  A bummer to spend some useless hours in the airport, but I was so glad she was still here and not stuck on a layover. At least she could come back and spend the night with me again. 
 
 
The next day she was off in a taxi to the airport again, and left for real. It was such a great visit.  I was so happy to have my mom come!  And she was a total trooper, taking the train everywhere with me, and walking for days.  I couldn't believe it.  AND she climbed the stairs to my apartment as many times as necessary.  She amazes me.  The only thing I would have shifted if I could was to have her here over a Sunday so she could come to church with me.  I would have loved to have shown her off to my friends there.  And she would have enjoyed them as well.
 
I think Mom successfully took Manhattan.  Naomi's trip to NYC was a win for the books!


2 comments:

  1. I love your mom! I cannot believe she is 77! She looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom! I cannot believe she is 77! She looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete