Monday, February 4, 2013

A Day In My LIfe

Today I did three auditions.  That is actually a lot in one day.  But in case you were wondering what days like this look like, here we go:

I left my house this morning at 7:45, with my backpack loaded with audition clothes, my audition binder with music and head shots, make up, some fruit and other necessities.  I wish I could say I don't have to walk around with a backpack all that often.  It is actually all the time.  Anyway, I arrived at NOLA studio at about 8:15 to get in line for a 9am audition sign up.

**Being a member of Actors' Equity Association has some serious advantages.  Like auditions where I can sign up in the morning for an appointment time later in the day.  Amazing.  But you still have to get in line to do it. ***

So yeah, I show up, and the building is clearly not open because there is a line along the sidewalk and around the corner.  Not having planned for that possibility, I was freezing without a hat or gloves.  Rough.  And the line was so looong. 

(By the way, I totally love the dude on the left side of the frame who saw me and decided to make my shot interesting.  Thanks, Big Guy on the Left.  You are great.)

So I got my time (12:50pm) and rushed off to another studio (Theatre Row Studio) to sign up for a different audition (4:10pm).  Then I killed a little bit of time at a coffee shop I found (NOT Starbucks, oddly enough), and went to a totally different studio (Ripley-Grier) to rent a studio to work/warm up in for a half hour.

At 11:30 I headed back up to NOLA for my audition.  Got ready, chatted for a bit with my old friend Erin Wilson, and had my audition. It was fine.  The man behind the table and I were both wearing lavender button down shirts, so I made a comment to him in order to have a little bit of conversation.  I am getting better at ice breakers.  So important.

I immediately changed and headed back down to Ripley-Grier for a chorus call started at 1:30.  I waited and finished a book and started to get nervous as the clock eased past 3:15 and I have not gone in yet.  I have to check in at Theatre Row by 4pm.  Yikes.

I finally sing at 3:50, not the best audition, but oh well.  I run back to my stuff, change my shoes, not bothering to change out of my skirt, throw my stuff together and take off.  Out on the street, I actually run.  I wish I could show you a picture.  Woman running like a crazy person in a black pencil skirt, black tights and brown boots, with a huge backpack, weaving in between of everyone in her path.  Have you ever done the stiff-arm run when you have a huge backpack on?  I don't know why, but I do.  It doesn't even really make sense.  But when I have a backpack on, I run with these stiff arms and kind of stiff legs, even.  I totally threw all dignity out the window.  I had an audition to make!

I got to Theatre Row and checked in at 3:58.  Amazing.  Thank you, Lord.

But, it provided a GREAT ice breaker story for the people behind the table.  I think my audition went well, I have to say.

Seriously long day.  So I needed Thai food.  Totally logical, in my mind.

That's what happens when you run like a crazy person up 8th Avenue in a pencil skirt.  And that is a day in  my life as an actor. :-)

You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. The visual of you bookin' it is precious. Presh-us. I would tell you what my day was like, but it mostly involves words like "pajamas" and "folding laundry". Whatever. I will try not to envy you your pencil skirt life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you do know what "stiff arm" is in football right? Running with ball, stick hand out into opponents face to keep him from tackling you. When you said you were doing the stiff arm run I was really hoping you were running down the street with your hand up to shove off anyone that might get in the way. Then I read further and realized you probably just meant your elbows were not bent as your arms swung slightly from the shoulder. More understandable, somewhat less awesome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busting out laughing over here, so I didn't think even ROFLOL was enough of a comment. I am also commenting on Becca's comment that I am trying not to envy how seriously awesome you look in a pencil skirt...not to mention your life. I like my life. I just miss my pencil skirt. xo :-)

    ReplyDelete