Sunday, February 3, 2013

Today.

My church building in Harlem.  I love going to church here!
Today is a really good day.  It is one of those days where I just have a profound sense of well-being.  If I am being honest, I have had it for a little while.  Lately I have just had a lot of peace of mind, and for those who know me and my history with obsessive anxiety, you know I do not take peace of mind for granted.  Some things I am so grateful for today:

1.  Sleep.  I am sleeping so much better!  Aah..
2. I am so grateful to be here, doing what I am doing.  It is hard, messy, clumsy, crazy, emotional, uncertain, complicated, simple, exhilarating, fun, fulfulling, and everything in between.  If there was anything else I would rather be doing, I would be doing it.  But there isn't, so here I am, auditioning my bootie off, not loving every minute of it, but realizing how lucky I am, just the same.
3.  Peace of mind.  When I am seeing my world through faith and gratitude, and not fear, it is so much better.  Fear comes for so many reasons, and sometimes I can't control my environment, things happen, and I react in fear, then comes the anxiety, and so on.  My anxiety is fear.  That's all it is.  Like I said, I don't take peace of mind for granted.  I can think and respond better in life, and I am more open to days like this, when I can just be and love it.
4.  My family.  I love them, and am so glad I get to keep them forever.  They will never leave.  After going through a divorce, I have a deep understanding and gratitude for what that means.
5.  My belief system.  I love the Gospel.  I am so bad at living it sometimes, but that is the beauty of God.  He loves me anyway.
6.  A working, healthy body.  My body is not perfect, according to my standards.  There are things I wish I could do with it that I can't.  Some days I wish I was skinner, and didn't have to deal with this imperfection or that one.  Not fishing, just being honest.  But my body can move, and walk, and dance (kind of), and make beautiful music, and hold a baby, and sit, and lay down, and speak, and laugh, and eat, and see, and hear, and smell, and hug my mom, and love, and cry, and heal itself, and procreate (still waiting for that one), and a multitude of other things. 
7. Second chances.  At Thanksgiving I got a card from my brother Dave, and his family.  They send Thanksgiving cards instead of Christmas cards.  On the back, Dave had written, "God is a God of second chances."  I melted into tears.  I am a living witness of that.  I am living my second chance right now.  God IS a God of second chances, and third, and fourth....


My life is so good, I am so lucky, and so grateful.

Because I don't feel like ending on such a serious note, I also have to share that I am grateful for  down-on-their-luck drag queens who decide to work it in the train station. (Or werk, as the case may be).



 


3 comments:

  1. A beautiful reflection on life that leaves me realizing that I have let this city get the best of me. Time to slow down, relax and seek out some peace of mind of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Nicole. I'm glad I said something that helped. Does it increase or diminish the sentiment if you know that I got that from Veggie Tales? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk6TGKXFU-E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this post literally brought me to tears. It really is a good thing you ended with the drag queen photos (which brought me to tears in another way). ROFLOL!

    I love your list, I love your honesty, and I love that I'm in your family so #4 applies to me. As a fellow sleep-struggler, I'm super happy to hear you are sleeping well. Peace of mind tends to help in that regard. Here is one of my favorite mantras that I say several times every day in my mind: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2Tim 1:7)

    I am so glad you are happy! Go, you! Love, C.

    ReplyDelete