Tuesday, December 2, 2014

So, My Roommate Left Me. We Broke Up.


This girl, Abby, used to be my roommate.  In fact, I have lived with her longer than any other roomate.  Two years.  That's a long time for me with roommates.  I'm not hard to live with, just...noncommital in my housing situations.  At least I was in college.  I never lived anywhere for more than a school year.  Then I got married.  THAT roommate situation didn't turn out that well. ;-)

Anyway, Abby and I met when I moved to NYC.  I totally scored with Karen, our other roommate, and her.  They are both amazing women, and I am lucky to call them friends.  But this post is about Abby so....sorry Karen.  Focus is on her. :-)

I won't say much, but Abby turned out to be a really, really good friend.  We did girls nights together and talked all the time at home.  She tolerated my needing to be up and about in the morning with the good grace of a really deep sleeper.  She was a great listener for all my drama, when I had any.  And I loved to hear about hers.  


Our girls night group was 5, then Carolyn moved.  Then it was 4 for a hot minute, and now Abby is gone.  Now we are 3.  Deb, Mel, and me.  We may adopt someone, who knows?  But I am sad our little group of happiness has split up.  And I really miss Abby.  She was kind of a dream roommate, and a great friend.  But her horizons as a writer are much bigger in California.  (Sigh).  


Love ya, girl.  See you at Christmas.

PS- Now that Abby is gone and Karen is in Qatar for a year, I am the senior roommate.  It's weird.  And I hate being in charge of utilities and rent.  It's the worst.  I miss my girls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment