Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So, This Happened Last Night.


While at work, you know, selling merchandise at Evita, my friend and I were invited to the opening night party for the Broadway show A Christmas Story.  I thought, this is going to be interesting; an adventure, you know?  Especially since I was dressed for work, which is veeeerrrrryy casual.  Like, jeans and a Tshirt casual.  Even with that standard, I was pretty laid back in my appearance, more than I might be on another day.  But sure, I will go to a Broadway opening night party.  Is there food there?  Then YES.  I will go.

But, let me tell you what I was actually wearing.  First of all, my jeans had some chemical stains on them from the clean up in Rockaway last weekend.  Woopsie, kind of altered their appearance with that adventure, but no big deal, they are still presentable for work.  The stains are not that big....I was also wearing a hat, because yesterday was a hat day with the state my hair was in.  Included in my ensemble was a hoodie from one of my comfortable work out track suits.  Let's just say, I was wearing three different shade of blue, and dirty ugg boots, and my red Evita Tshirt. 

Rachel and I showed up, and of course, had to show the security our pass to get in, because we couldn't possibly BELONG there.  We walked in, and...we didn't belong there.  Everyone was dressed to the nines, even for an opening night party, from what I heard.  Great.  So, we were super under-dressed, and everyone else is super overdressed?  Fantastic.   We found our friend Brendan, and I proceeded to eat deep-fried mac and cheese (???) like it is going out of style, and make small talk with a drunk guy that Brendan had made friends with over the course of the evening.  You know, like you do. 

The best part for me?  The actual Tshirt I was wearing.  I couldn't have been wearing my cute "Livin' Evita Loca" black V-neck uniform Tshirt (Thank you, Ricky Martin).  No, I had to be wearing this one:

 

Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't wear show paraphernalia.  Let alone something that, taken out of context, is as pretentious as this one.  To be wearing it at a BROADWAY OPENING NIGHT PARTY was just too much for me.  But, I couldn't keep my hoodie on, because of the before-mentioned three different shades of blue, of which the hoodie was one shade.  (I mentioned I just thought I was going to work and back home last night, right?  Don't judge me.)  So I ended up turning my shirt inside out.  Which made it only a little bit better.

I think last night, I was as classy as I have ever been, which is saying a lot.  I am usually really classy.  ......    It was awkward and amazing, all at the same time. 

Or, maybe the best part for me was seeing this great girl that I graduated from BYU with.  It was nice to see her again, but I was just the tiniest bit concious of the fact that I was there in all my merchandising glory, and she was there as part of the cast....

Awkward and Amazing.

2 comments: