Sunday, December 16, 2012

Thanksgiving Was...

Amazing.  It didn't start out amazing.  But it quickly got amazing.

I went to Ellicot City, Maryland to visit my great friend Stephanie for the holiday.  So, I took a bus to Baltimore.  Since I had to work on Wednesday afternoon, I couldn't catch a bus till that evening.  As I walked out to 11th Ave. and 34th Street, pulling my luggage, I quickly knew something was wrong.  The line for the bus was four blocks long.  I was thinking, hold up, hold up.  WHAT?  Two hour delay before I stepped on a bus?  Check.  Standing in the cold for that long?  Check.  Friends made in line to share in my misery with?  Check.  Arrived in Baltimore at midnight after a cramped bus ride?  Check.  Murder. 

After that, however, my weekend took an upswing very rapidly, and stayed there for the duration.  I got up the next morning and met Magnolia, Stephanie and Riley's daughter, who was about 5 months old.  I almost died, she is so cute.  After getting ready, we drove 3 hours down to Staunton, VA (through the amazing Shenandoah Valley, thank you)  to spend the day with Steph's extended family.  Now, I understand there is no completely adequate substitute for your own family during the holidays, at least for me anyway.  But Steph's family welcomed me with open arms and became my family for the day, and they did a wonderful job of making me feel at home.  It was a traditional family Thanksgiving, with the people, endless food, laughter, and warm fuzzies.   The day was gorgeous, about 60 degrees, and just so relaxing.  I have always loved Stephanie's family.  They are so kind, warm, and welcoming.  You really do feel a part of them immediately.  I just can't say enough.  It was a perfect day.

The rest of the weekend was spent in Ellicot City, a suburb of Baltimore.  I am obsessed with this city.  The downtown area, just around the corner from Steph and Riley's darling house, is straight out of a book, complete with boutiques, a super yummy chocolate shop, a coffee shop (breakfast on Friday), and a great restaurant (lunch on Saturday).  I mean, seriously.

Don't worry that I went back to the chocolate shop before I left and bought a stockpile that I ate...that day.  I am just so happy that I have a reason to keep going back to get my fill of small town goodness.



Lastly, I can't handle this little one.  The is the Christmas outfit I bought her.  I can't handle the cuteness that is Magnolia.

This is kind of a shameless shout out to a good friend, but I so appreciate Stephanie's presence in my life.  We were in Les Miz together, so have known each other for twelve years (I am getting old?).  Stephanie played Cosette.  She was 19, started a month before me and left tour a week before me.  We started out as the two youngest in the company, (I was 21) which, in a way, bonded us immediately.   I remember about a week before I joined the company getting a phone call on my new cell phone. (It was the year 2000, give me a break).  I answered and it was Stephanie, introducing herself and asking if I wanted to be her roommate for a few weeks.  I was so surprised and impressed with this girl who would reach outside herself without even knowing me.  Steph and I became really good friends, through the many ups and downs and adventures that is Tour.  She was definitely the girl I was closest to on the road.  We had so much fun together, but also always really enjoyed discussing ideas and principles with a healthy respect for eachother's beliefs and opinions, whether they were the same or not.  We loved to explore places and be outside, and to this day, whenever we get together, our time needs to include some sort of outside adventure.  I love it. 

Even though Stephanie isn't Mormon, and knew she wouldn't be able to be in the temple with me, she still came to my wedding and sang for the luncheon.  That meant so much to me. 

Five years later, she came to my side again as my marriage ended.  I still get emotional thinking about how grateful I was, and still am, for a friend that puts her friendship into action. 

In September 2011, I finally got to show my gratitude for her by attending her wedding to Riley.  It was awesome.

Pretty much, I can't describe a better person or friend than Steph.  She knows what friendship is, and means, better than I do.  She is a great example to me.

I adore her a little bit.

OK, that was almost too much seriousness.  I have to think of something funny or witty.

....I got nothin.  But it really was a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment