Friday, November 14, 2014

So, My First Midsingles Conference Was a Win.

Last month I went down to the Washington D.C. area for my very first Mid-singles conference.  My first one!  I went down with a few girlfriends, and we stayed with our friend Marcus and his roommate, Colin.  I was looking forward to it; if nothing else, it would be a fun girls' weekend.  OK, seriously.  It was a total party.  All weekend.  For so many reasons.

Me, Rachel, Ros, Sharon
The first reason was, I spent some serious quality time with amazing girls I already knew, and it was much needed.  That alone made the weekend a success.  As evidenced by some of these dumb pictures of a few of us laughing our guts out for no apparent reason.


Also, our accommodations were a dream.  Marcus and Colin were perfect gentleman the whole time, and it was so fun to be with them.  None of us knew Colin beforehand, so we were so glad he was so awesome!  This is us at the gala:
Colin, Ros, Christina, me, Sharon, Marcus

AAANNNDD...Marcus loaned me his Mini Cooper for the weekend, so I could be the driver for us ladies.  ??!!!  The most fun I have had driving in a long time.  Doesn't it look cute next to me?  I need one.


We also had late nights where we laughed till the wee hours like we were at a slumber party.  And Ros taught us about her British nature with personal space and hugging.  She is not comfortable with a new person hugging her.  As was proven that day with a new friend.  So we laughed about it that night, and she gave the quote of the weekend that is still getting mileage a month later.  "I'm OK with physical affection with people I know.  But it's these personal invasions of privacy..."   (By the way, she is no shrinking violet.  Proven in the picture above).
"My arms go out straight, and my butt goes out behind me...."
She then demonstrated just how awkward she is when someone she doesn't know tries to hug her.  I, of course, was the willing participant.

And yes, there was a gala.  At the French Embassy.  No biggie.  That's what you do in D.C., I guess.  Hang out at places where you have to get security clearance.  Everyone looked awesome, if I do say so myself.
The ladies.  Rach, Brook, Christina, me, Sharon, Ros



We had a whole NYC crew there, so that was really fun.  But when the dancing started, the shoes came off.  Sorry.  Nobody needs to dance in those things. #keepingitclassy

We met some really great people, and by that, I mean fun boys.  I will never complain about that in my life.  BUT.  The best surprise of the weekend?  Nancy Burgess. NANCY BURGESS.  One of my favorite people in my home stake growing up.  We haven't seen each other for over 10 years, and just happened to run into each other on Saturday.  At the water cooler.  Like some crazy sitcom.  No joke.  And just to prove how in sync we were without even knowing it, we looked like sisters at the gala that night.  It was the best.
Nancy!!

My girl Brook.  I just like her!
A little bit of sight seeing on Sunday afternoon never hurt anyone.

Smithsonian museums, GW Memorial and the Word War II Memorial?  Yes, I think I will.  Thanks. I wish I could have spent more time.  I don't go to D.C. enough, and I haven't seen the monuments in years.  I'm so grateful for this great country!










And then...sometimes you also see a witch playing a harp on the river front.  It's fine.


DC Mid-singles Conference FTW!

(I just figured out recently that FTW means "For The Win."  Don't judge my lateness to that acronym party).

1 comment:

  1. I was loving this whole post...and then the witch just put me right over the edge! LOL!! I'm going to need more details for sure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete