Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

My weekend started beautifully with my friend Joseph Ogden, who had hired me for the gig I did on Thursday.  He took me to brunch at Norma's, a really nice restaurant at the Parker Meridian Hotel.  So yummy, and then we walked the Highline for a bit before he had to leave town.

Last night I got to do a little Easter celebrating with dying eggs with some lovely friends.  Yippee!




Tonight I am going to my first Easter Mass at St. Paul's Church in Lower Manhattan.  I am really looking forward to it.

As I was reading in the scriptures this morning about Christ rising on the third day, one thought struck me, that is not new, so much, but really hit me somehow today.  Christ appeared to Mary Magdalene first.  A woman.  To me, that says so much about His regard not only for her, but for women in general.  And not in a "women are so much better than men" kind of way at all.  But I just really believe that Christ loves women, so much, and holds us in reverence, respect and regard.

Lately I have heard and therefore thought a lot about peoples' ideas with the Church and women, the Priesthood and other perceived or real gender inequalities.  Those issues may or may not be a big deal to some.  They are to others.  And I am not saying our society in the Church is perfect and doesn't have things they can improve on as far as gender goes.  I don't know.  But I do know that Jesus Christ loves women.  So much.  If it wasn't so, he would not have spent the time speaking to Mary Magdalene first, of all people.  Maybe he would have gone to John the Beloved.  That would have made sense.  But he first went to Mary.

So,  I know my place as a woman in the eyes of Jesus Christ, and I know I am loved, respected, and revered.  Those were my thoughts today, and I just love my Savior. 

Happy Easter!

 






No comments:

Post a Comment