Monday, March 11, 2013

Recovery, Self-Love and Selfies.




This last week I have had a few call backs, which was exciting for me.  It feels so good to see a little bit of progress, even though I didn't actually book any of the jobs.  It validates me that I am on the right track.  But last Wednesday, after my last call back, I was really discouraged because it should have gone really well, and I choked.  Somehow.  It was a movement call back after a chorus call, which means I sang my song on Monday, and on Tuesday they called and asked me to come to a movement call back.  Since the show was not heavy dancing, they just wanted to see if I could do simple dancing.  No problem.  The combination was super easy, but I still somehow choked when it came to crunch time.  I was so mad at myself and sad about the botched opportunity.  I would not have hired myself, so I didn't expect anything to happen.

Anyway, I got home and decided I needed a bit of selfie therapy.  Oddly, it helped.  Not completely, but these silly moments definitely made a difference.

Today, I was thinking about my industry, and my personal journey of recovery from codependency.  It wasn't until after my marriage ended that I learned how codependent I can tend to be, and ever since then I have been learning more and more about what emotional health means for me, and have been working to achieve that.  (That is the nutshell version of a very long story, and an even longer journey.) 

I have a great opportunity at this point in my life, and in this industry, to practice my recovery every day.  I have kind of thought about this before, but never really with this amount of clarity.  The principles of Recovery as I understand them are based on fully trusting and surrendering to a Higher Power, and letting that Higher Power take care of you.  Recovery is learning to love and trust yourself.  It is learning to keep that self-love intact and not base it on other people's opinions of you.  It is about living in your own truth, and not taking responsibility for others' lives, feelings and reactions.  It is about letting go of things you can't control.   It is about taking care of YOU, and therefore being better equipped to be your best self, and in turn be able to love and serve others in a more healthy way.  

Anyway, lately I have felt like I am in a really good place, therefore, have worried that I haven't been as proactive in "working my recovery" as I could be.   On Saturday night, I went to a group meeting and as I shared my feelings about this,  all of a sudden this idea formed in my head about how I am actually working my recovery every day as I audition.  As I thought more about it today, it clarified even more.

Every day, I am given with the chance to love myself in the face of rejection; to see my own value no matter what the people across the table think about my work.


I get to practice faith and trust in God that He will take care of me when I am going to audition after audition and not finding anything.  I also get to practice the faith that He will take care of me in the other aspects of my life as well, while I am so focused on my career.  (AKA, dating and a theoretical marriage do-over).

When I have a bad audition or a disappointing experience of some kind, I get to practice the skill of feeling my feelings, processing them, and moving on, instead of telling myself I am not supposed to feel sad or discouraged.  I can feel those things, acknowledge them, and then figure out what to do with those feelings in a healthy manner.
 

I get to address my sense of perfectionism every day.  I get to make mistakes and beat myself up over them, or not.  I work on the NOT beating myself up part.  The other option helps no one, least of all myself. A great saying in my network of Recovering Codependents is "progress, not perfection."  I love that.  It helps me keep perspective.

I can accept myself and my work every day.  My triumphs and failures, the good and bad about me, my strengths and weaknesses, my ugly and my beautiful.  I can accept myself as a person.  I need to.  The whole package.  Also, I can accept that whatever I do that day is enough.  I am enough.

I don't always do all of these things.  Quite often I come up short on a given day that is hard.  But at least I am aware, and I know the direction I want to go in.  So I guess I am working my Recovery more than I realized.  

Incidentally, I realized a long time ago that the more I work my Recovery, the better I will be in my craft.  Funny how that happens, isn't it?

I love this quote I found in "The Gifts of Imperfection," by Brene Brown:

"My story matters because I matter."

I relate to that in my life as well as in my work.  I matter, therefore, my story matters.  My life story, or the story I am telling that day, it is the same.  It is my story.

And, on the days when my story doesn't seem that great, I can always take a few selfies to cheer myself up.  It's better than eating my feelings.  But it doesn't taste as good.

6 comments:

  1. I am so touched by this! And so impressed by what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you had a really serious post that was interspersed with pure silliness. You are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Props to you for sharing your feelings! It takes courage to put yourself out there—in an audition, a relationship, a blog post, or wherever. Since we've talked about it some, I've been trying to imagine what auditioning must be like. How it would feel to stand in front of people who don't know you and get judged by them day after day. The only conclusion I've come to is that it requires incredible strength and confidence to do what you do.

    My sister wrote me a letter when I was 16, and said that has stuck with me ever since. What you do reminds me of it. She said, "There will not always be people around you who are able to appreciate, or even see, the great things about you. Especially those things you like most about yourself. Never be afraid to show people who you are, and never let anyone put their value on it."

    You are amazing! Keep your head up, keep chasing the dream, and keep doing what you're doing and things will work out just as they should. That much I know.

    Oh, and while selfies are a great cure, please don't forget to eat your feelings every now and then too. Just be sure to invite me when you do. #foodfriends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too many I know could reflect what they were writing by a picture of an expression on the face. Loved it! You were very introspective and I am sure moved a few notches down the road of being who you want to be. You know there is a guy in Mapleton who thinks you have what you really need going for you. Glad you are coming to that conclusion as well! Your dad who loves you, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's another guy in NC.

    A lot of what you are saying reminds me of the things you deal with being a parent. I woke to one child utterly distraught that I hadn't gotten up at 6am to get her ready for the bus. She couldn't comprehend why I might have made an executive decision about that after being up til 3:30 with her puking brother. Good thing I wasn't too worried what she thought of me at the time.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you for pointing out that there are certain lessons God needs us all to learn although he may choose to teach them to us in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post. I don't like it that your audition wasn't what you knew it could be. It makes me sad for you. But I love that you can put context around even the yucky parts of life and truly get that even those parts help us in our journey to becoming who we are meant to be...at least if we are wise like you. xo Love you! C.

    ReplyDelete