Monday, March 9, 2015

Circling The Chocolate Wagons

Apparently I have been on a huge blogging hiatus.  Seeing as how it is now March and I still have not documented Christmas, I think "hiatus" is a good way to put it.  But, before I backtrack a few months, I need to touch my post from about a year ago about my family's way of ""circling the wagons."   Last weekend we took it to a whole new level, and it was a truly profound experience for all of us, I think, as I once again found myself the beneficiary of my family's love and sacrifice on my behalf.

Do I have something in my teeth?
I auditioned for graduate school on February 28th.  Yep, I did it.  It was a quick decision, but well-thought out and deliberate at the same time.  


Jen and Ally, supporting from Provo.
My girl Kate.  In Texas.
I threw the theoretical hat in the ring for Penn State's MFA Acting program.  This is something I have thought about off and on for a few years, and this year, the stars seemed to align where I felt like I needed to just go for it.  I was too late to audition anywhere else, but I really like Penn's program, so I went ahead.  It was a busy month with getting my audition ready (two monologues, totally doable), writing my statement of purpose, securing transcripts and letters of recommendation, on top of life in general.  But I felt really good about it.

Mom, pre-gaming it at a concert with Teresa.
T's kids with Dave and chocolate shakes in Utah.
I took myself on a bus to State College, PA and auditioned my little heart out.  And didn't get a callback.  That was it.  All that work for 5 minutes.  Actually, it was not unlike many auditions I have had, so not that unusual, but still disappointing.  That's OK.  It seemed like God was telling me "not right now." 


My failed attempt to capture the gorgeous Pennsylvania countryside.
Juuuust on the bus.  Eating my TJ's dark chocolate PB cups. Heaven.
 At least, I have to believe He was, since I had worked so hard and felt so prepared.  Anyway, I took myself to a yummy breakfast in consolation. (Naturally).


Carolynn and Caden, illustrating that even eating chocolate can be organized and orderly in Texas.
Tim and Gavin totally cheating with a protein shake.  But I'll take it.

In the meantime, I had sent out a group text to my family for support beforehand, so I had to go back and tell everyone that nothing panned out.  For the record, that is why I don't really like talking about big auditions. 

Maggie with her first taste of chocolate in Utah.  You're welcome, Mags!
Mike and Sarah taking one for the team in Utah.
Cyndi "Mastermind" Cannon in Oregon.
 When they don't go anywhere, I have to go back and tell everyone they didn't, then deal with pity that I don't need or want.  Fortunately, my family isn't like that. As we were all commiserating together (over text of course; we are a 21st century family), Cyndi suggested we all eat some chocolate in support of my disappointment.  

WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA.

So at 4pm Eastern Time, I got all of these pictures texted to me from all over the country, evidence of my family's support. 

The Cannon kids giving selfless service.  Is there a merit badge for this?

 I may have cried.  

Ethan using the Cannon Center at BYU to drown my sorrows by proxy.

I didn't, actually.  But I laughed really hard, and enjoyed  my family's wacky greatness.

First prize and another momentous event: John and Naomi took their first selfie, everyone.  FIRST SELFIE.  Who says these old dogs can't learn new tricks?  And it was all for me!  That's love.

Good job guys!  Your social networking training is complete!

I learned a few things with this experience.

1.  My family is hysterical.  I really already knew that.  So I'm cheating a bit here. 
2. Gary and Melissa's house is absolutely the best place to eat my feelings.  Without question.

Gary and Melissa for the win in Texas!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are ALWAYS welcome.
    ALWAYS.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I am laughing so hard but also heart full of love to be a part of this terrific family. Sending hugs your way!! Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and and I love this family. And I love chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone else need me to eat some chocolate for them? I'm ready. :-) xo

    ReplyDelete